Agasthya and the Vindhyas

 

Agasthya and the Mountain

One day the sage Narada was travelling the length of Bharat. On the way he came across the Vindhya mountains. The mountain paid its respects to the wandering sage and said, “Pranam Narada. How are you? How is that you are never tired of all this travel? I am staying in one place. I see the same horizon, the sun, moon and stars every day.”

Narada said, “What to do dear Vindhya? Each person has a different destiny. I am destined to keep tabs on many things across this universe and report it back to the Gods. I am tired but I do enjoy my travels as I see many things and enjoy the different sceneries.”

The Vindhyas said, “Interesting sage. I am bound to this place. Do tell me about your travels. Do you see any other mountains.? How are they? Are they taller or shorter? Although I think most will be shorter than my majestic height.”

Narada said “You are indeed an imposing mountain Vindhya. You are nearly as great as some of the other mountains I have seen.” Now the Vindhyas were intrigued. “Nearly as great? You mean there are mightier mountains?” Narada said carelessly, “Of course. Anyways I am in a hurry. I will see you soon.” Scared that the Vindhyas might crush him Narada rushed southward.

Now Vindhyas completely lost its peace. It could not enjoy the trees and animals that had made their home in the mountain and the gentle western breeze that blows towards it in the evening. It was feeling upset that there were greater mountains which can reduce its presence and glory.

It decides to ask the elements. It called the Surya God. The Sun God appeared before the mountain. Without even the customary courtesies, the mountain blurted, “Lord, you wander the Brahmand. Please tell me about the great mountains in your path.”

Lord Surya is a bit taken aback. But he says, “Of course. There are many beautiful mountain ranges in my path. Some are tall and covered with snow. Some are not so tall but are covered with thick forests and provide shelter to many animals and birds. But I see a bit of both when I circle around Mount Meru which has snow in the higher peaks and thick vegetation and birds and animals in the lower ranges. It takes me almost a couple of hours to go around Mount Meru.”

Vindhyas is shocked. “What you circle Mount Meru? Why?” Lord Surya responded. “Yes. I cannot help it. The Mount is so tall that I am unable to go over it. So I circle it. Anyway, it is my duty and I do enjoy it as I see a variety of animals and birds and trees on Meru.” Saying so, Surya went back to his journey for the day.

Now the Vindhyas was jealous. It could not take that another mountain can be better than itself in Bharat. It started increasing itself in height and kept growing. At some point the mountain became so heavy and tall, that the earth could not take its weight. Also due to the unnatural height, the wind and rain patterns changed resulting in drought or excessive rains damaging crops. This created a lot of hardship for everyone.

Indra tried counselling the mountain. He said “Meru is great not because of its height, but because it nurtures many life forms.” But Vindhyas was adamant. “I also support many life forms. If you are so concerned, then Brahma should not have created a mountain taller than me.” Indra tried reasoning saying that there was a reason Meru was taller. But Vindhyas was beyond reasoning.





Defeated by this, Indra went to Sage Agasthya. Sage Agasthya heard everything and told Indra, “Don’t worry. Vindhyas considers me his guru. I will do something.” Then he looked at his wife Lopamudra and children Bhringi and Achutha. “Pack your things. We are going Southward.” Understanding him, his family packed their things with a smile.

The family came to the Vindhyas mountains but the huge mountain blocked their path. The sage called out to the mountain.

Seeing the sage with his family, the mountain bowed its head “Guruji. Pranam. I want to ask you something.” Sage Agasthya says “No. I am in a hurry. I will talk to you later.”

Vindyas tries to lift its head after doing its pranams. Agasthya turns and talks to the Vindhyas as if remembering suddenly, “By the way, Vindhya I am going south. I may return in a hurry. If you again grow tall and become your magnificent self, I cannot cross you. As you know I have short legs that have to carry me long distances. So please keep your head bowed. Once I cross over, you can go back to your beautiful height and be the tallest in the region. 

Hearing such words of praise, Vindhyas puffs itself up and says, “Of course. Guruji. I don’t mind. I shall keep my head bowed till you cross. It would be my pleasure.”

Agasthya and his family happily settled in the south of Bharat. They never went back.  The movement of the Sun and Moon are continuing unhindered resulting in rains and crop cycles being on time. Meru is still majestically in its place nurturing rivers, birds and animals.

The Vindhyas continues to wait for the return of Sage Agasthya but with its head bowed.

Some problems can be solved by tact without resorting to dramatics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Da.... Da..... Da

The Gods Go Hungry

Thulabhaaram - A lesson in humility - Part 2