Arjuna is Humbled

 


Arjuna is Humbled,

Arjuna is Humbled

The Court of Dwaravati, the beautiful city that was created by Krishna for his Yadava clan. Krishna is sitting in the sabha with Balarama and his Yadava clan. Arjuna, who is visiting Krishna is a guest at the court. A brahmin enters the court in tears. He looks at Krishna and says, “Krishna, how can such an atrocity happen under your watch? I had seven sons. All these sons have vanished at birth. Every time my wife gives birth, the child mysteriously disappears in front of our eyes as if the ether swallowed it.”

Wiping his tears, he continued, “My wife is pregnant again. Can you atleast save this child? You were born to your parents as the eighth child after they lost the earlier seven.”

Krishna and the council remained quiet with shock. The brahmin repeated, “Isn’t there anyone in this court, who can save my child that is to be born? Or is my household cursed to be childless forever?” Before any of the courtiers or Krishna could reply, there was a reply, “Yes, I will.”. Everyone turned.

Arjuna stood up and told the brahmin, “If no one in this sabha can help you, I will.” Balarama said, “Arjuna, this is an internal matter to our clan. You are our guest. Please do not get involved in governance.”

Arjuna replied, “I am kshatriya wherever I am. If any of you are willing to help this brahmin, I am happy.” No one did.

Arjuna with a smile sent an arrow that picked up all the seven threads that the brahmin had laid down on the floor and placed them in the brahmin’s hands. The brahmin watched him with admiration and gratitude.

Arjuna continued with a confident smile, “Just go home and make preparations for the arrival of your child. Call me on the day when your wife goes into labor. I shall ensure that nothing happens to the new born”. The brahmin, still not convinced says, “What if you cannot protect the child?” Arjuna replies, “ Then I shall offer myself to Agni.”

The court was shocked at such a declaration. Shubadra and Balarama looked to Krishna to say something. But he only had a bemused smile in his face.

The brahmin’s wife eventually went into labor. As agreed, Arjuna reached the brahmin’s home. He started shooting one after another. He was shooting relentlessly. First the arrows started surrounding the hut like a horizontal cover. Then creates a further layer of protection that puts vertical arrows in a zigzag around the hut The Yadavas watch in awe and Krishna with a mischievous smile. The lady crying out in labor pain is heard by every one. People are looking anxiously at the arrows.

Suddenly the piercing cry of an new born infant is heard. Arjuna clapped his hands in happiness. He looked at Krishna and thought, “I did what even Krishna couldn’t. He needed me to protect his people.”

In a moment, there was complete silence. There were no joyous shouts from the women or the crying of the new born. There was a piercing shout and wail from the mother. Arjuna was shocked. He held on to the Gadiva and was stablising himself as he understood what had happened. He stumbled inside the hut and was shocked to see only the women and no child. The new born had disappeared. With tears in his eyes, he came out and using his arrow, started a fire to kill himself.

Krishna came near him and said, “Don’t be hasty. You need not do this.” Arjuna said, “No Krishna. I failed a poor brahmin who trusted me. I cannot live with myself.” Krishna says, “But you can bring back the child and atone yourself.” Arjuna looks at Krishna confused. “Bring back, How??” Krishna replied, "Let us go looking for them.”

Thus, Arjuna and Krishna set out on a journey. Arjuna tells Krishna, “Lets first go to Yamaloka and confront the God of Death. I am sure he is the culprit.” Krishna smiles but says nothing. They go to Yamalok and confront the God of Death. Seeing Krishna, the God of death Yama Raja came running and fell at his feet. When Arjuna enquired where the children were, he completely denied any knowledge. He said “I am ordained by the Brahmand only to take the souls that have lived their time on Bhulok. As per my records, these children’s time has not yet come.”

Failing to get the children, Arjuna and Krishna go to Paathal lok, Indra Lok and many others. Finally they are tired and were resting. Krishna looks at Arjuna and says, “Arjuna, do you now admit that this task is beyond your capability?” A disheartened and humbled Arjuna bows before Krishna and accepts defeat. Taking pity on Arjuna, Krishna says, “Follow me. Let me show you something.”

They enter a large cavern in one place. They kept going inside for many days and many yojanas. At some point the cavern became pitch dark and they had to leave their chariots and horses behind. They couldn’t see anything in front of them.”

Krishna summoned the Sudharshana and threw it in the darkness. It started moving in front with a glow throwing light in the cavern. They followed the Sudarshana and came to a huge opening with a warm celestial light in front.

Then they heard the sound of the lapping of waves with a cool breeze coming out but had a salty taste. Arjuna looked at Krishna and says, “Where are we? This looks like the very edge of Brahmand.” Krishna says, “This is the bottom of the Ksheersagar. Look there.”

Arjuna turned and looked and was shocked. Lord Vishnu was asleep on the giant snake. All the eight infants were sleeping next to Vishnu. Arjuna fell at Vishnu’s feat, “Hari, what kind of test is this? You had the infants and were playing with me. Please forgive my arrogance.”

Vishnu smiled and said, “I just had to remind you that you are the Nara and Krishna is the Narayana. You were too dazzled with your own powers. Remember everytime you say “I did it, I did it” it is I who am making you do it.”  Arjuna, in tears and shame again prostrated in front of Vishnu and his avatar Krishna. With a smile, Vishnu handed all the eight babies to Arjuna.

Krishna with a mischievous smile said, “Can you take all eight of them or should I help you Arjuna?” Arjuna sheepishly replied, “I can do with some help Parandama. Don’t seem to be very capable by myself.”

They returned the children to the overjoyed brahmin and his wife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Da.... Da..... Da

The Gods Go Hungry

Thulabhaaram - A lesson in humility - Part 2